Grain Crossing Box…

Have you ever come across a photo of a structure and thought “that’d make a nice model” or “I’d like to make that”?

Well, if you’re anything like me, this happens frequently. Inspiration often strikes when I’m browsing online, and generally when I’m looking for something else entirely. Generally, common sense prevails after asking myself “do I actually need a model of that” or “why, when this has no relevance to anything else I’m doing”.

In this case, however, I really was taken by the photo I came across of the diminutive box at Grain Crossing and I decided to build a model, just to please myself.

In its original format, the real box had three side windows, but these appear to have been replaced by two modern style UPVC windows in recent times. As I wasn’t really keen on the modern replacements, I decided to make a model inspired by the original, but not a direct copy. My model therefore has two side windows – albeit in the original style with three panes of glass – but more about windows later!

Basic construction:

I decided early on to make the basic structure from 1mm clear sheet and, after some further online searching, found enough photos to enable me to guess the approximate dimensions. These basic dimensions were then transferred to the clear plastic and cut out. I used some square section plastic in the corners for strength and to keep things nice and square. The clear plastic is obviously handy as it represents the glazing, however care needs to be taken after removing the protective film to avoid scratching the surface too much.

The prototype box is clad in vertical beaded timber, but I deviated and used Slaters embossed planking sheet for convenience – inspired by rather than faithful representation remember!

Windows:

As mentioned earlier, the style of windows changed over time, and I wanted to represent the original three pane versions. I realised early on that these would have to be scratchbuilt. Each of the four “outer” window was built separately, with framing made of microstrip, and then added to the “inner” window [the clear plastic wall of the cabin]. Had I thought more about this earlier on in the build, I could probably have represented one of the sliding windows open…sadly I didn’t, so all the windows are firmly closed! Although they look the part, I was very glad I’d made the decision to only have two windows each side. 

Roof:

There’s nothing clever here - a simple sub roof and slates cut out and applied in the time-honoured way, one at a time. For small structures like this, there’s no excuse to do it any differently. 

The illusion ends around the back!

Equally, the door still needs painting.

But from here, all appears finished!

Will I ever use it? Possibly not - it was an enjoyable mini project nonetheless!


Comments

  1. I find this kind of modelling deeply enticing. Collecting structures you enjoy, perhaps one day to choreograph a scene… having had a glimpse of what you’re working on next I look forward to seeing that emerge in time. Inspiring as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. For me, it's grand city buildings that catch my attention, although I have a growing list of pubs I would love to turn into N scale models. Each one would be a months-long project of its own so most will not come to fruition, but they live in my mind. This is a beautiful little model; it looks so crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully clean work Matt. I find inspiration in similar places but often struggle to stop once the first structure has been built. Perhaps that’s why I have such a litany of unfinished layouts. Grain is firmly in my neck of the woods and I’ve long been intrigued by the concrete brutality of Grain station, particularly when juxtaposed with the ancient H classes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment